Help with itinerary with 2 year old

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2024, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are travelling to Europe for 5 weeks in September with our 2.5 year old. We fly into Amsterdam and have two weeks before we need to meet family in Paris for 9 days, which leaves one extra week in France before we have to fly out. Originally we were thinking either Provence or Normandy but would have a week at most - thoughts on which one is best to visit in September and which areas are best with a toddler? My husband is keen to see Germany briefly also, likely Frankfurt. So this does mean we might do a bit more hopping around than is ideal with a younger child. We will try to use the high speed trains where possible or hire a car once we get to the area.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 07:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd look at the Rhine, the Mosel, Alsace or Normandy to cut down on travel and the whole exhausted family thing
Old May 2nd, 2024, 01:04 PM

I am a bit confused by exactly how many days you have:

two weeks in Amsterdam + 9 days Paris + 1 week somewhere else in France? That's not quite 5 weeks but OK.

There are only a few rules with children so young: reduce travelling around so much. Bases can help. Find ways that they can nap (can your little one nap in the stroller? If not, this needs consideration). If you have a routine at home, try to keep it or you will have a cranky child. Observe regular snack and meal times. In many cases an apartment / AirBnB can help with a lot of these. Try to find one in a neighbourhood with a playground.

If you want to see part of Germany, I would rethink Frankfurt. It is OK but there are only pockets of charm and it isn't Germany's best representative (built-up skyline, drug scene in the railway station, only a few examples of pretty architecture). Give some thought to Alsace (France). If you have a car you can dip into Germany which is just across the border. I would base in or around Amsterdam and do day trips out from there, base in Paris, and base in Strasbourg or Colmar.

Good luck, hope you find an arrangement that suits your situation.

Lavandula
Old May 6th, 2024, 02:48 AM
Original Poster

Sorry that was a confusing late night post! We are travelling from NZ hence it won't actually be 5 weeks in europe due to travel days & stopovers.
- arrive into Amsterdam, stay 3 nights to settle and adapt to the time zone
- 11-12 days to fill
- 9 days for Reims & Disneyland Paris with extended family
- 8 days Paris and or small trip to normandy

Thank you everyone for the suggestions, that's really helpful to know especially re Frankfurt and tips with travelling with children.
Old May 6th, 2024, 05:06 AM

Where does Denmark fit into this trip?

You could easily spend longer in The Netherlands. Plenty to see and do and things for a young child.

Are you flying out of Paris? If so then maybe flying into Paris also makes more sense, as you can then take a train somewhere, recover from the flight then hire a car and explore where you like.
The main problem with flying to Amsterdam and then getting to Alsace without a car is the number of train changes you have to make, which, depending on the train and route you take, can involve crossing Paris. Book your train tickets asap.
Old May 6th, 2024, 07:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Luxembourg-Metz-Nancy are an excellent tourist axis connected by train. On top of that, transportation (train, tram, bus) is completely free throughout Luxembourg.
Old May 6th, 2024, 10:50 AM

To fill out those 11/12 days, you certainly have enough time to visit Provence. Far more spectacular than Normandy.
Old May 6th, 2024, 03:07 PM

Instead of moving around more I would spend those 11/12 days in the Netherlands (or Belgium because it's on the way to Paris). You can still base in the Netherlands - if not Amsterdam, which might start weighing heavy on the pocket after several days, then why not Utrecht, which is still quite central. Dozens of places to visit including the Kröller-Müller Museum, which is set in a big park where you can rent (borrow?) bicycles. Or base in the Hague and take your little one to Madurodam or Duinrell (amusement / theme parks).

Lavandula
Old May 10th, 2024, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by nznat
Sorry that was a confusing late night post! We are travelling from NZ hence it won't actually be 5 weeks in europe due to travel days & stopovers.
- arrive into Amsterdam, stay 3 nights to settle and adapt to the time zone
- 11-12 days to fill
- 9 days for Reims & Disneyland Paris with extended family
- 8 days Paris and or small trip to normandy

Thank you everyone for the suggestions, that's really helpful to know especially re Frankfurt and tips with travelling with children.
Hi,
I would spend more days in Amsterdam and the Netherlands.
I f you are a museum addict, Frankfurt is your place. Other than that, there is little to do there.