Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Live...from spain!!! Cordoba, costa de da luz (vejer de la frontera area, madrid

Search

Live...from spain!!! Cordoba, costa de da luz (vejer de la frontera area, madrid

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2024, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maribel
For Vejer and lomo en manteca lovers:
A new "temple" to this product opened in Vejer in March, called, appropriately, the Taberna del Lomo en Manteca, a new gastronomic space that renders homage to this much beloved product.

As ekscrunchy and mike have explained this is pork loin cooked and then preserved in pork fat.

Three partners are behind the project, including the driving force behind the October International Day of the Lomo en Manteca, Juan Melero and sister Ana, owners of the El Mastrén ice cream shops.

Here they serve kilometer zero products: local charcuterie (lomo de bellota), sausages (butifarra, longaniza, morcilla, chorizo, salchicón) all straight from the Vejer butcher shops, along with Payoyo cheese, bluefin tuna conservas from La Chanca & El Rey de Oros, and to accompany these products, the best local D.O. Tierras de Cádiz wines from labels like Tesalia and Barbadillo and sherries/manzanillas. They'll also offer take out.

At Calle Juan Bueno 5. Open 10 am-4 pm, then 8 pm-midnight. Closed Tuesdays.

Will be the first "new" (to me, as well as new to open) on my list for next spring!!!!
That sounds fantastic!
My manteca colora made it home from Spain to Miami and again from Florida to New York (flight) yesterday!!!! But where do I find the same type of bread that they serve at Venta Pinto??
Maribel, besides. using it in the bocadillos, I imagine its would be cook to cook eggs (??). And even some fish (??). I've got two nice containers!!!!

It's' good to be back home in NYC....time to begin making the packing list for next month!
But I must say that, typically, my first stop in NY (after the gruesome visit to the dentist) was to the Greenmarket at Union Square. I love that place in late spring/summer but the offerings yesterday were positively paltry compared to what I became "used to" in the Mercados, and even the supermarkets, in Spain!!!
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 08:22 AM

eks,
I thought of you yesterday as we were sitting at lunch at La Vasca in Miranda de Ebro (espárragos de temporada de Navarra y chuletillas de cordero), and an O.N.C.E. lottery seller made the rounds of all the tables, selling tickets for the Mother's Day lottery. I should have bought one!

About how to use up that manteca colorá....That's a good question for Annie B of Annie B's Spanish Kitchen cooking school in Vejer. She should be the expert so you could email her. Her blog:

https://www.anniebspain.com/lomo-en-manteca-traditions/

Last edited by Maribel; Apr 27th, 2024 at 08:32 AM.
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

eks,
I thought of you yesterday as we were sitting at lunch at La Vasca in Miranda de Ebro (espárragos de temporada de Navarra y chuletillas de cordero), and an O.N.C.E. lottery seller made the rounds of all the tables, selling tickets for the Mother's Day lottery. I should have bought one!

About how to use up that manteca colorá....That's a good question for Annie B of Annie B's Spanish Kitchen cooking school in Vejer. She should be the expert so you could email her. Her blog:

https://www.anniebspain.com/lomo-en-manteca-traditions/

Gracias, Maribel!!

I will write to her not only to ask how to use the manteca, but where to find the helado de manteca!!!!!! Imagine!?!
Old Apr 29th, 2024, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

it's a little late, but I realized (when I thought about sending a few pics to Elena from Azotea,) that I had forgotten to include the rest of the photos of my lunch on opening day of their new location, at El Palmar near Vejer. For AZOTEA fans out there, here are the two off-menu dishes that I devoured with relish:. this should have been included in the section about the Costa de la Luz.

The first are the tiny clams, coquinas, and the second pair are the razor clams, navajas.
And just for fun, the last is a photo of my arm in unusual condition, taken the day after I fell on my face in the middle of the restaurant and was attended to by the server aka medic. I have no idea why I got spotty like that, but my arm looks fine now, minus the red spots and dots:

Coquinas, tiny delicious clams, with artichoke hearts

Clam close up, with artichoke hearts....two of my favorite dishes in one

Close up of razor clams

Perfect execution of navajas, very popular in Spain

A dotty arm taken 1-2 days after I fell down.....what in the world are these spots?? My arm does NOT look like that now.

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Apr 29th, 2024 at 07:49 AM.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 04:27 AM

ekscrunchy,
News flash! El Bar de Paco Morales has closed. He wants to "rethink the project" and hopes to move to a new, yet undisclosed location that will open sometime in 2025.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 07:15 AM

Your Córdoba hotel just received 1 key (Llave) from the Michelin guide (apropos to Revulgo's thread), the only Córdoba hotel to receive that distinction.

The 3 Sevilla hotels to receive 1 key:
the Cool Rooms Palacio de Villapanés,
the Unuk
the Mercer, where you've stayed.

Old May 2nd, 2024, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Interesting, Maribel....you know my thoughts on the Hospes in Cordoba. Yes, I would stay there again.
Next time in Sevilla you already know where I will stay....not the Mercer but a newer hotel. The Mercer was lovely was far as service..perfect. Breakfast wonderful. Room on the small side without any view. That did not bother me at all; I do not care about a view when alone since I get all the views when I go outside. And it was quiet. Highly recommendable. But some people might think it was dark inside; I do not remember the type of room I had, though. I could check if anyone is interested.

Last edited by ekscrunchy; May 2nd, 2024 at 07:56 AM.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 07:58 AM

The chosen Michelin Key recipients are an interesting list. Some I do understand, some I don´t. For example, we were just at the Santa Maria in Briones, Rioja, and it certainly deserved its 1 key designation. But Echaurren, also in La Rioja,, with 2 Michelin stars in its restaurant, didn't receive a Michelin key for its hotel.

Our beloved Abadía Retuerta in the Ribera del Duero received 3 keys, and we know those were absolutely deserved!
Old May 2nd, 2024, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Oh, yes, ABADIA RETUERTA. Understated luxury.
And so close to MANNIX!!!
For anyone who loves lamb....this is the area to stay!!

Although, Maribel, a stay in Valladolid, for lechazo???
Old May 2nd, 2024, 09:05 AM

Don't go to Valladolid Ciudad for lechazo. It's the place for creative tapas bars and holds the famous World Tapas Competition each year. I have a great list of Valladolid tapas bars, and we must go soon.

I think I´ve visited almost every Castilla León lechazo palace now (have been on a mission) except for the one in Palencia, La Encina (asignatura pendiente a job yet to accomplish).
Old May 2nd, 2024, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Don't go to Valladolid Ciudad for lechazo. It's the place for creative tapas bars and holds the famous World Tapas Competition each year. I have a great list of Valladolid tapas bars, and we must go soon.

I think I´ve visited almost every Castilla León lechazo palace now (have been on a mission) except for the one in Palencia, La Encina (asignatura pendiente a job yet to accomplish).
I would be SO EAGER to read any comments about the lechazo!!
Old May 2nd, 2024, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

I would be SO EAGER to read any comments about the lechazo!!

Especially now as I sit in dental chair and have just seen my chart that includes the word “hopeless” with regards to several teeth!!!
Old May 2nd, 2024, 10:44 AM

Gemma García of Mannix is no longer there on a day-to-day basis, don't know why. But her sister, Alicia, is doing the desserts. Gemma is now at Cobo Evolución in Burgos as jefa de cocina. Two Repsol suns. It seats 15 diners. And no, it doesn't do lechazo.

Last edited by Maribel; May 2nd, 2024 at 10:52 AM.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 12:17 PM

A lovely and friendly asador that we discovered yesterday during our short Segovia sojourn to meet friends----ASADOR MARIBEL (no relation!!), away from the tourist fray, way before one reaches the aqueduct and thus, less packed with tourists and more populated by locals. And Segovia during this long weekend was packed to the rafters! We stayed at the Parador and it was packed with families.

Its lechazo is from Sacramenia (the VERY best, imo), raza churra, and reasonably priced.
Yes, like all the asadores or horno de asar in Segovia it also serves cochinillo/tostón, but the lechazo is equally well prepared here in its huge adobe oven. It´s a member of the Asociación de Asadores de Lechazo de Castilla y León, always a dependable sign.

After eating cochinillo/tostón many, many times in Segovia, it was refreshing to find a great place to enjoy lechazo from Sacramenia.

Each year in February for the past 10 years, the restaurant celebrates the Jornadas de Lechazo or roast lamb days with a special menu.

We liked it very much.

Last edited by Maribel; May 2nd, 2024 at 12:39 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Please let us know about any lechazo you sample on your current trip. I wish I could tag along!!!

Old May 3rd, 2024, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ekscrunchy
Please let us know about any lechazo you sample on your current trip. I wish I could tag along!!!

Were I do undertake another personal lechazo tour, could I get easily to many of the top spots from one base hotel and if so, which one, besides ABADIA LA RETUERTA. ( loved that hotel but maybe there is a place to spend 4 nights or so that offers closer access to the "temples"??
Is Tinin in Sepulveda still ranked very well?

This might need a new thread!
Old May 3rd, 2024, 05:16 AM

Yes Tinín is stil ranked well, not fancy (an understatement!) but really good.

The lechazo temples are all over the place--in Aranda, in Burgos, in many, many places in the Segovia province, in Palencia, in Miranda de Ebro, etc. There´s really no good central base. You have to move around. Luckily we can hit many of these on day trips now. From Abadía Retuerta you've already hit two, Mannix and Nazareno.
Old May 3rd, 2024, 08:30 AM

Getting back to the Costa de la Luz,
in Barbate now they're celebrating the XVI Semana Gastronómica del Atún, Rojo, the festival of the blue fin tuna, with special events, such as being able to attend a ronqueo, the traditional quartering of the tuna into a gazillion parts and "show cooking" or demonstrations of how to cook this delicacy and of course, sampling tapas of blue fin at the different casetas (tents) of the Feria and in most all the bars of Barbate. Each bar highlights its special creations made with blue fin, priced at 4.50 euros. And there are evening concerts. This all goes on until May 5.
On my next visit, I must try to coincide with this lively event.