Reload this Page >

Southern Italy in May

Search

Southern Italy in May

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2024, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like that hotel is a great find!
Be sure to let us know how you like it!!

Old Apr 28th, 2024, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Curious what the "dress code" is in southern Italy and Sicily. We usually are very casual-joggers/sneaks. Wondering about dinner dress in local restaurants.
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 09:09 AM

I think like everywhere these days you will see a bit of everything, especially from other tourists. I would think Taormina is a bit upscale so at least smart casual, both times we have been in Puglia people seemed to be at least smart casual at dinner, some people a bit more that that depending on the restaurant.
I like dressing for dinner so always pack a few nicer outfits or dresses for that.
Old Apr 29th, 2024, 04:58 AM

You can fit right in in almost anything "nice." And by "nice," I mean clean and pressed, not much more. There is no need whatsoever to take anything remotely dressy. Taormina is full of tourists and you can imagine the variety of clothing. We saw plenty of people in good restaurants in shorts and what looked like hiking clothes. There is absolutely no need to take any high heels or dressy shoes.

We ate last time in what is probably considered the "best" restaurant in Sicily, with 2 Michelin stars. (La Madia in Licata, very, very highly recommend......personal service from the owner/chef, not more than 10 tables, book far ahead)
I wore a casual dress that day (when I look at the photo of me there with the chef I look totally dowdy and awful--what possessed me to bring a long-sleeved denim shirt dress I still do not know..why I bought it in the first place is the even bigger mystery!). but the Italians were mostly in leather sneakers with the men in unlogoed t-shirts or just normal shirts. Definitely jeans, but "fashionable" jeans.
My partner wore long pants and a long-sleeved linen shirt and he was among the more dressed up of the crowd.

Leather sneakers for the Italians, almost always. I wear those now, or sandals. Never closed shoes.

In popular restaurants in untouristy places, we saw absolutely everything, from women in skin-tight short dresses with gobs of jewelry to people in jeans and t-shirts. It's kind of a scream.
But again, the dressed up ladies were not in places like Taormina. Remember that the most dressy meal tends to be Sunday lunch but again, that would not be in Taormina or places with a ton of foreign visitors.

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Apr 29th, 2024 at 05:06 AM.
Old Apr 29th, 2024, 11:18 PM

Once, about 10 years ago, on our anniversary (late October), we were walking on the beach in Senigallia (Le Marche). We passed the Michelin 3-star restaurant Uliassi. I said to my husband, "At this time of year, they might not be fully booked; let's ask if they have a table for two free." (We had never eaten there before.)

They did have a table free, and we had a wonderful meal, dressed as we were for an autumn walk on a beach. Chef Uliassi came out to ask if we were enjoying the meal.

I find that in Italy people don't really worry about how they should dress. I've never heard an Italian woman ask another what she's planning to wear for an occasion. I've seen a huge variety of dress at weddings and in restaurants.
Old Apr 30th, 2024, 02:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for these reassuring thoughts !

We leave today & your help has been priceless! I will try to do a live trip report or, if not, surely one when we return!