Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trip to Dresden/Czech Republic: One Fiasco After Another, & the Kindness of Strangers

Search

Trip to Dresden/Czech Republic: One Fiasco After Another, & the Kindness of Strangers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2023, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, kleeblatt.
Ingo, I've been to Italy many times, and although I've had a few occasional bumps in the road, I've never encountered anything like what happened on this trip, in Italy or anywhere else! You're right, I'm sure I'll remember this for a long time!
Old Nov 11th, 2023, 10:52 AM

After I read that first paragraph about checking on the car you booked and to not worry, I thought you might have been doing a little foreshadowing; I'm glad my suspicions were not correct!

That thing about airlines cancelling the return flight if you don't make the outbound is something that catches a lot of people off guard and I don't know why the first agent didn't mention it because you'd think they should have! If you are going to make a claim against the airline, you might want to check in with the associated airline group forum on flyer talk. There's a ton of info there and many experienced people who can advise.

You have a great attitude and were able to keep it in spite of the difficulties you faced, so good for you and you made it a successful trip! I've enjoyed 'traveling' with you.

Old Nov 11th, 2023, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Trophywife. Yes, as I mentioned, I thought the United agent should have known about that flight cancellation. United did reimburse me for the train ride from Frankfurt to Dresden. After several phone calls and numerous emails, they wouldn't reimburse me for the flight from Prague to Brussels, said they absolutely don't reimburse for a new ticket.
Old Nov 11th, 2023, 11:49 AM

I certainly can understand if you just want to drop it... if it's not that huge of an amount or if it's something you can claim off of travel insurance of from the credit card you used to book, then of course, let it go.

But if you are curious as to whether or not there's a chance to get at least some of your funds reimbursed, I've found that the experienced flyers there are generous with their expertise. You were in a sense 'forced' into buying a one-way ticket on the day of the flight, which is about the most expensive way to have to do it, unless someone was able to give you a break on the price somehow. Again, it may be more aggravation than you'd like.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...leageplus-681/

Old Nov 11th, 2023, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Trophywife. I may take a look. They did give me a $150 credit towards another flight, but that's far less than the cost of the ticket. I did have travel insurance, but that didn't cover it either. The policy only covers the price of a new ticket if it's the beginning or midway through the trip and you have to buy the new ticket in order to join a tour or cruise.
Old Nov 11th, 2023, 01:34 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow Susan P! I don't like reading about these types of flying issues but it's always best to know and prepare for the worst so this way, you know how to handle it as best as possible when it does happen. I am always so nervous when flying and not because of the flight itself it but issues like you had. I am going to be in both Dresden and Prague in a few weeks, so I enjoyed reading about them from your perspective.
Old Nov 11th, 2023, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, sassy. Sometimes you just have to do something whether you like it or not!
Hope you have a good trip. I did enjoy the destinations, despite all the challenges.
Old Nov 11th, 2023, 03:26 PM

Oh geez, I would have had a heart attack at the check-in counter. I am so relieved you were able to get another flight so you would miss your flight home!
Old Nov 11th, 2023, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

PegS, I was too mad to have a heart attack! 😀