Czech Republic Restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2023, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in the following locations in September and am looking for restaurant recommendations (not Michelin-type, just good local food):
Karlovy Vary
Cesky Krumlov
Prague
In Prague, preferably close to my hotel on Skorepka, a couple of blocks south of Old Town Square. I have found some but would like some personal experiences.
Thanks!
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 09:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SusanP
I will be in the following locations in September and am looking for restaurant recommendations (not Michelin-type, just good local food):
Karlovy Vary
Cesky Krumlov
Prague
In Prague, preferably close to my hotel on Skorepka, a couple of blocks south of Old Town Square. I have found some but would like some personal experiences.
Thanks!
do you have any dietry issues?
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

No dietary issues! There's very little that I won't eat. Probably the only exception would be insects, but I'm thinking I probably won't run into much of that! 😁
Old Jun 14th, 2023, 10:11 AM

That's kind of an inconvenient location for Prague as there isn't any public transportation there, being in the more pedestrian area. I mean the tram and bus lines don't run through the interior Old Town area, they run around the edge of it. I don't know of any great Czech retaurants right near that hotel.

SO it depends how far you are willing to walk.

When I visit places, I like to visit some historic places related to issues I'm particularly interested in or just the city history. For me, I am very interested in Vaclav Havel, the Czech Velvet Revolution and just the history of the city, it's writers and literature, etc. So I try to visit at least a couple historic cafes/restaurants. For Prague, the closest to you where I try to stop by each visit would be the Cafe Slavia which is across from the National Theatre. It is Czech food almost it is a cafe, not a regular restaurant. Of course it has regular dinner dishes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caf%C3%A9_Slavia

https://www.ehica.eu/portfolio_page/slavia-en/

So you can't easily get there from your location, but for walking. It is only about 700 meters or so. The problem is the tram line and bus lines don't go near your hotel.

Old Jun 14th, 2023, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Christina. That looks interesting. I might go to a performance, so it would be perfect.
Actually, the maps I have show a tram stop about 300 meters from the hotel, so that's not too bad.
Old Jun 14th, 2023, 01:22 PM

yeah, the problem is that tram if it's 9, goes in an outer area before coming in to stop near the TESCO at Narodni Trida and then the National Theatre stop. So it might take you longer to take the tram as first you have to walk to Narodni trida and then wait for it, as to just go to the theater directly, I think. I don't know, your call, it's about four longish blocks to the theater from Narodni Trida stop. If you're in no hurry or it's bad weather, I could see it of course. I like that TESCO dept store there for shpping but I think it's closed now, don't know why.

Tram 22 also runs along that route but starts farther out than 9, so same situation.

That is a good place to go before or after a performance.
Old Jun 14th, 2023, 02:52 PM

I only know a couple of restaurants in Prague. One is Pizza Nuova Ambiente: https://www.pizzanuova.cz/en/

The other is Marina: https://www.marinaristorante.cz/en

Marina is particularly nice with the view of the river. Pizza Nuova has roving waiters with pasta and you just eat and fill up on as much pasta as you like, and when you are done they will reload you from their trays.

Good luck!

Lavandula
Old Jun 14th, 2023, 03:08 PM

We had an excellent meal at La Dégustation, with a Michelin star. Reservations are recommended but we walked in without reservation and were immediately seated. On the other hand, the traditional beerhall two steps from them could not seat us one evening, they were full.

https://www.ladegustation.cz/
Old Jun 14th, 2023, 04:30 PM

I would highly recommend Sansho in Prague. We visited in 2015 and since that time have sent a number of friends and acquaintances there and have continued to hear good things about them. Looking them up online they may have become more expensive but at the time of our visit the food was creative and delicious and the prix fixe meal was reasonably priced. We stayed in the central part of Prague and were able to walk to the restaurant.
Old Jun 14th, 2023, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for these additional suggestions, I will check them out.

Christina, it's shorter to that tram stop than to the theatre, so I will see how I feel that day. I'm not handicapped but have arthritis, so I do try to cut down on walking where possible, and of course it's impossible to go to Europe without a lot of walking! 😀 Doesn't stop me from going! I definitely wanted a tram stop not too far away for getting to the castle.
Old Jun 14th, 2023, 05:23 PM

La Dégustation is definitely worth a visit, Cafe Imperial as well, not in the same league but decent traditional hearty food which is very inexpensive (although expensive by local standards).with a beautiful interior. Need a reservation at Cafe Imperial, it is very popular. Enjoyed the Eatery as well but it is in the suburbs and you need to take a tram to get there. I quite liked that, it made us leave the Old Town and see something else, an ordinary neighbourhood. The other cafes are worth a visit too, Cafe Louvre and Cafe Savoy which is nice to visit before or after visiting Prague Castle as you can stop there on the way down on the tram.Bookings are required.
Old Jun 14th, 2023, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, balthy. Cafe Imperial was on my list, probably for lunch when I'm closer. I appreciate the other suggestions!
Old Jun 14th, 2023, 11:17 PM

At least coffee an afternoon coffee and cake in the Café Impérial, if just for the décor:

Old Jun 15th, 2023, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Michael, yes, it's on my list. Thanks.
Old Jun 15th, 2023, 09:19 AM

Restaurant Obecni Dum in the Municipal House Old Town Prague is a spectacular art nouveau eatery. It gets mixed reviews but is a gorgeous old world setting. Our group had a lunch there while on a Tauck tour and it was fine, looked like others dining at the time were locals.
Old Jun 15th, 2023, 09:21 AM

Restaurant Obecni Dum in the Municipal House Old Town Prague is a spectacular art nouveau eatery. It gets mixed reviews but is a gorgeous old world setting. Our group had a lunch there while on a Tauck tour and it was fine, looked like others dining at the time were locals.

Old Jun 15th, 2023, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

travelchat, I love art nouveau, so I'll definitely check this out! Thank you.
Old Jun 15th, 2023, 03:01 PM

I usually stay near Nameski Republicky or Josefov area so have been in Cafe IMperial a couple times. It is beautiful but it isn't near her hotel. Also, surprisingly, it doesn't have a whole lot of Czech dishes actually, more international cuisine (same for Obecni Dum). I usually go in there just for breakfast, which is lovely. Both those restaurants do have a couple Czech dishes, though, which may be enough -- Cafe Imperial has a menu title for Czech dishes and it lists wiener schnitzel which they call Czech even though tt's not, of course (it's Austrian). Maybe they eat a lot there. Cafe IMperial has a couple also.

I don't really like Czech cuisine that much, I get tired of pork and cabbage, etc, so worked for me. Obecni Dum is good for breakfast or lunch, also. I don't think it's quite as nice ambience as Cafe Imperial.
Old Jun 15th, 2023, 04:02 PM

We had wonderful dinners at Bila Krava and Restaurant Bredovsky Dvur. Mistral Cafe was very good for a brunch.
Old Jun 15th, 2023, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, mms.
I was thinking about Cafe Imperial if I get close, probably at lunch, as much for the decor as for the food.